UK and EU students who have been accepted onto the Degree programme or One-Year courses may be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan through Student Finance England. The loan available does not cover the full tuition fee for courses at the Met Film School, as it is a private institution.


Students who start university or college after 1 September 2013 (academic year 2013/14) will be on a new student finance scheme. From 2013/14 depending on your circumstances, you can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,000 if you study on an approved full-time course at a private university or college. The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your education institution. 



Student Finance: What Money You Can Get

You can now apply for student finance for 2013/14 eligible courses.


Information on Student Finance can be found on the site: Student Finance


To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:

- A Tuition Fee Loan to cover your part of your tuition fees 

- A Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only)

- A Maintenance Grant if your household income is less than £42,600 (full-time students only)


Full-time students have to pay back any loans plus interest once you complete your course and start earning more than £21,000 a year. Part-time students who earn over £21,000 a year have to start paying back their loans after four years even if their course hasn't finished.


If you leave your course early you need to repay a percentage of the Tuition Fee Loan for that year - see 'Paying back your student loan' for details.


You don't have to pay back grants, scholarships or bursaries.


You can apply online now for the 2012/13 funding you can apply here.


Forms and Guides 2012/12 can be found here.



Maintenance Loans for living costs

Full-time students can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. Maintenance Loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term.


Part-time students can’t apply for a Maintenance Loan.


The exact amount full-time students can borrow depends on:

- Your family’s income

- Where you live

- What year of study you’re in

- What help you get through the Maintenance Grant


You can also get student grants to help with living costs.



Maximum Maintenance Loan rates for full-time students

 Where you live and study

 Maintenance Loan

 You live at home


 You live away from home and study outside London 


 You live away from home and study in London 


 You spend a year of a UK course studying overseas



Rates for final year students are different. Contact Student Finance England to find out what rate applies to you.


You can apply for 65 per cent of the Maintenance Loan without having your household income looked at. This means you can apply without your parents or partner having to send in any details of their income.


If you want to get the full loan Student Finance England will assess your household income and base the amount of your loan on that. Your household income is your parents’ or partner’s income, plus yours.

Applying for student loans based on your household income

Student finance contacts



When to apply

Courses starting after 1 September 2012

If your course starts after 1 September 2012 you can apply for student finance as follows:

- Full-time students - from April 2012

- Part-time students - from August 2012



The deadlines for 2012/13 applications are:

- Full-time and part-time students - up to nine months after the start of the academic year


EU Students

If you're a student from another EU country, you can apply for financial help with the cost of tuition in England. Additional help may also be available if you’re a migrant worker from an EEA (European Economic Area) country or Switzerland.


Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for:

- Help with tuition fees

- Help with tuition fees and ‘additional help’ – for example, living costs



Tuition Fees

To qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan the following needs to apply:

- You’re an EU national, or the family member of an EU national

- Your course qualifies 


To find out how much money you can get and how to apply, see the links below.

EU student finance For 2013/14

How to apply for finance – EU Students



Funding Postgraduate Study:

There’s lots of competition for postgraduate funding, so apply as early as possible. Funding applications for both taught courses and research places usually have to be in by the spring before starting your studies in the autumn.



If your postgraduate place doesn’t come with funding

If your place doesn’t have funding attached, then you’ll need to think about how to pay for your studies.

NB. If attempting to find additional funding for your MA Filmmaking programme, you can now apply for one of the 13 burseries from Postgrad Solutions: click here (£500 bursery available for selected students)


The main costs you’ll face are tuition fees and accommodation and living expenses. Tuition fees vary from course to course. Usually, they will run to several thousand pounds.


It’s common for postgraduates to help fund their studies by:

- Using savings

- Combining study with work

- Applying for financial help from some of the sources listed below



Where to look for financial help

You can search for postgraduate awards of all kinds on the Hot Courses and Prospects websites.

Search for postgraduate funding on Hot Courses 

Search the Prospects website for postgraduate funding 


Awards vary greatly. You will need to check:

- The amount of the award

- Whether you receive a one-off payment or a series of payments throughout your studies

- Whether it covers fees

- Whether it covers part-time or full-time study

- Whether it covers masters degrees or doctorates



Charities and trusts

Many charities and trusts provide postgraduate students with grants. Often, financial help is reserved for students from poorer backgrounds, or for those who’ve achieved academic excellence. 


You can find out more about charities and trusts at your local library. Useful publications include:

- The Educational Grants Directory

 The Charities Digest

- The Grants Register

- The Directory of Grant Making Trusts


You can search for funding from educational trusts on the Educational Grants Advisory Service (EGAS) website.

 Search for an educational grant with EGAS 


International Students

Met Film School is a private independent film school, specializing in industry training, which means we do not follow the same fee structure as other higher education institutions in the UK. International students are normally able to find out if there is assistance for studying overseas from their home government.


Our International Student Funding guide has been produced by the Met Film School and is intended as a basic guide to possible sources of funding for international students who want to study in the UK.


Downloaded the International Student Funding guide.

Adding it up: The Student Finance Calculator

If you’re a new student starting in 2013/14, enter your details into the Student Finance Calculator for an idea of how much you’ll get through Student Loans, grants and bursaries.

For more information please follow this link to the Student Finance website.

Funding Information for Scandinavian Students

Funding Information for Scandinavian Students


Met Film School is now an official Listed Body with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). This is of particular importance for some Scandinavian students as it may give them access to certain government financial support from their home countries.


Please visit the DIUS Recognised UK Degrees website and find us in the list.



Swedish students can also receive funding from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid (CSN) For Swedish Citizens when they study at the Met Film School on a full-time programme longer than 13 weeks.


CSN funding is unlikely to cover full tuition fees but can make a significant contribution to the overall cost of study. For more information on funding details and eligibility, head to the CSN website

Voices That Matter

The Met Film School offers a limited number of partial and full-ride scholarships for our accredited programmes. 


Our scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate the potential to be exceptional filmmakers, and who already have compelling stories to tell. Applicants must be able to show their passion for and dedication to making films. We're particularly interested in applicants from conflict zones and developing countries.


We are looking for individuals that possess distinctive and unique filmmaking voices. Scholarships will only be awarded to those students who have a film that has achieved success, for example at a reputable festival.


Applicants must submit a portfolio of work alongside their application which outlines their experience and how they believe a scholarship place at the Met Film School would benefit their career development.


In addition, applicants will need to demonstrate that their financial situation would ordinarily preclude them from being able to undertake such a programme.


For more information please email